Sunday, May 20, 2007

Lynsey Hunter ... UK



Artist: Lynsey Hunter
Business: Lynsey Hunter
Web sites: lynseyhunter.blogspot.com and lynseyhunter.etsy.com
Location: Derbyshire, UK

What do you create?
I create illustrations/artwork & textile designs. My designs use an eclectic mix of printed papers, quirky vintage imagery, old–fashioned fabrics, stitch work and my own style of linear drawing mixed with watercolours and collage.

My work is described as delicate and intricate needing closer inspection to see hidden imagery and raised surfaces. I try to create images that are refreshing, unusual and fun but are also of a high quality and stylish.

Where and when do you do your creative work?
I do my creative work at home whenever I have spare time.




Do you have another "day job"?
I work as a sales assistant at a fashion store, part time.

Where and what did you study?
I have a First Class Honours in Textile Design from Derby University.

What inspires you and what motivates you?
Seeing quirky things in my everyday life. I am mainly influenced by different architectural styles, vintage books, collected memorabilia and the unusual. I like to discover interesting places and objects to draw in an unexpected way.

I begin most of my work by seeing the ordinary and turning it through my drawing into the eccentric or comical.




When did you start doing this?
My illustration style developed in my last year of University, but I have been a creative person all my life. I have always been interested in patterns and colours and fabrics.

Do you remember getting into art as a kid?
Yes, my Mum is a creative person and she would get me and my brother involved in making things when we were young. I started to make my own clothes when I was 13.

When and why did you decide to start your own business?
I decided to go freelance after leaving University, selling my illustration work and textile print designs, until I find a full time job.




How did you choose the name for your business?
I chose lynseyhunter as my etsy business name as it's easy to remember and is the same as my email and website. I tried to think of something more interesting but I am a very fickle person and I couldn't decide!

What do you love most about creating your work?
When the design turns out exactly how I imagined or even better.

What's the most fascinating place you've been?
I recently visited Switzerland, it was beautiful and very calm.

A book you love:
PARIS out of hand (a wayward guide) – Karen Elizabeth Gordon




What is the most interesting thing about you?
I have asked a few people about this question and it seems that my ability to see the extraordinary in everyday, ordinary things and make them magical or comical is my most interesting feature.

What achievement are you most proud of?
Being awarded First Class Honours for my degree.

What advice would you give women starting their own business?
As I am only just starting out myself this is a hard question, but I would advise anyone to not think to much about selling your art when you are creating it. Do what you love and if it sells, then that is a bonus. Otherwise I think you lose the joy of creating.




What's the biggest challenge you face in your work?
Finding the space at home and sometimes the time.

What do you love to do in your free time?
I like to go to the cinema, listen to great music, travel abroad and within the UK. But most of my spare time is used up by my design work.




What are you working on right now?
I'm designing some children's wear fabric repeats.

What do you hope to achieve next?
I would like to do more exhibitions showing my illustration work, and get a full time job in the textile industry.