Sunday, July 29, 2007

Andrea Heimer Party Art ... Washington, USA


Artist: Andrea Heimer
Business: Andrea Heimer Party Art
Web site: www.andreaheimer.com
Location: Bellingham, Washington

What do you create?
I make bright, pop oriented paintings I call "Party Art."



Where and when do you do your creative work?
I paint on my old formica table right in the middle of the house, usually very late at night.

Do you have another "day job"?
I am also in a band with my husband, Mark. We're called No-Fi Soul Rebellion
and play really fun interesting music and have a very interactive live show. In
many ways Mark's music is a counterpart to my artwork.


Where and what did you study?
In my years leading up to painting I was freelance writer. In fact, it was in the middle of writing a book on art that I first decided to try my hand at painting. Turns out it was much more fun than writing!


Where do you find inspiration?
Ack, everywhere really. Bright colors are great, old catalogs and magazine ads, too. The design aesthetics of the '50s and '60s. Also other artists who are out there making things happen for themselves. Jason A. in San Francisco and Jonathon Kimbrell in Texas come to mind.

What motivates you?
My husband is fantastic. I watched him build a successful music venture with what is essentially a one man act with little help. He makes me want to work hard at what I do.



When did you start doing this?
Almost exactly one year ago, in June of 2006.

Do you remember getting into art as a kid?
Yes! Hours and hours of tracing my coloring books and making my own designs with them.



When and why did you decide to start your own business?
In June 2006 I was tired of just writing about art, I wanted to make it. The stress of deadlines was also getting to me. Now the only deadlines I deal with are self-imposed.

How did you choose the name for your business?
I call my paintings "Party Art," operating under the idea is that art should be fun to look at and inspire conversation, like a party on your walls.



What do you love most about creating your work?
I'm not going to lie. Selling it!

What's the most fascinating place you've been?
Summer in Alaska is magical. The eerie twilight that occurs instead of nightfall is really something.



A book you love:
Doh! Good question. Any one I don't have to write?

What is the most interesting thing about you?
In my musical life I am in a band but play no instruments. That's pretty good, no?



What achievement are you most proud of?
My favorite thing is making affordable art for people's houses. People spend a lot of time in their homes, and when they want to hang something of yours where they will be presumably be looking at it all the time – that's a good feeling.

What advice would you give women starting their own business?
Be organized, be persistent, and make people want to pay attention to you.



What's the biggest challenge you face in your work?
I have an eye disease where I have sporadic stretches of extreme pain and have a hard time keeping my eyes open for long periods of time. This is a major bummer for a painter as you would expect, but I'm working through it.

What do you love to do in your free time?
Horseback riding, outdoor exploring, junkshop hunting, and eating cupcakes.



What do you hope to achieve next?
I'd like to get a show at a nice gallery in New York. Jonathan Levine, I'm looking at you!


5 comments:

  1. Great find! New to me!

    I especially like the piece with the horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fantastic, they remind me of the illustrations in my mum's kids's books from the fifties. I love the aesthetic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful artist and really interesting interview!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrea!
    I'm so happy for you! And your work is stunning! Really stunning! I'm sure you would recognize me. I used to live in Bellingham, but I live in Boston now. I've had an etsy shop for a while and that's how I found your interview. Congratulations! I'm looking forward to your New York gallery show!
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete